Orchard Wanderings



There's just something about orchards that I feel drawn to.

I'm not exactly sure what it is. Ever since I first visited an orchard, I have dreamed of owning one someday. There is a simplistic beauty that I appreciate: The branches that are heavy-laden with fruit. The comfortable atmosphere of the produce store. The row after row of beautiful apple trees.

Today I visited Anderson Orchards, located in Moorseville, Indiana. Although not quite yet fall time, the orchard still provided early harvests of apples along with a plentiful amount of peaches, pears, and plums.





Looking through the colorful varieties of fruit the orchard offered, I also began to notice the business of the store. The customers picked through the produce while employees helped load cars and point out certain items. Looking more carefully, there were even more employees carting apples to and fro from behind the building, where I'm assuming the sorting of freshly picked apples happened. Outside of the store, trucks and tractors disappeared into the acres of apple trees with their own responsibilities.




I decided to do a little more observing out in the quietness of the orchard. I selected then left my produce at the counter before venturing out amongst the trees. There was peace. There was fresh clean air. There was clear blue skies. I slowly walked through the isle of trees, snapping pictures and soaking in the scenery. I was soon accompanied by a friend, the Anderson's old family dog. Together, we wandered around as I took in the magnitude of what it means to run such a business.




I began to inspect even the smallest detail of operating an orchard. There were stakes to support the trees, sprays to keep away bugs and diseases, mulch, equipment, costs of upkeep for the equipment, pruning shears, signs to distinguish the trees… Every little detail had to be there to keep the orchard in tip top condition. Suddenly, I was appreciative of the owners and their hard work. My small friend and I examined the fruit-laden trees, and I have since been struck with the Biblical analogy of Jesus being the vine and His followers the branches.




John 15:5 says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." 

The mature trees were absolutely bursting with fruit! The trees were healthy, and obviously well cared for. How well do we tend to our branches in Christ? How fruitful are we for Him? Do we work hard to grow in Jesus, to cultivate our faith, to harvest spiritual fruit? It takes hard efforts and dedication. An orchard as lovely as the one I visited today wasn't built in a day. Neither is our fruit in Him. But if we don't start making strides, our branches will wither and die and will need to be pruned. 


How fruitful is your orchard, then? Are you producing love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (Galatians 5 22-23)? Let your branches bend with the weight of it all! Refresh yourself in the nourishment that the true Vine brings. Tend to your orchard. The harvest will be beautiful. 




SaveSave

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.