It's a Jungle Out There!



Honesty, I just feel like typing "The Jungle Book was awesome. The end." Really, there is too much to say about this movie! First of all, if you have yet to see it and are remotely a fan of Disney or the original cartoon movie (or even the book!)… See it. If you are into action and awesome special effects, see it. I can keep giving you reasons to see it, but how about I just describe my favorite parts and give you all just a real review?

As I've said before, and I'm sure I'll say again in the near future, I am a huge fan of Disney. Huge. When I first saw the teaser trailer for "The Jungle Book," I got chills. It was the one where Kaa (portrayed by the ever talented Scarlett Johansson) was "reassuring" Mowgli in her husky, transfixing voice. From that point on I was hooked and knew the movie would be epic. And it was.



"All By Myself" 
To fully appreciate this movie, let's start from scratch. The main actor Neel Sethi, (who at the time couldn't be more than ten or eleven years old), acted completely by himself. Sure, there were puppets and little props to help him have a visual, but the kid did it without a single other actor around. Kudos. Because that takes some skill.



Same,Yet Different 
Next, I love that this was it's own story without still being too far from the beloved cartoon. We obviously have the same characters (some with more recognition than others due to slightly different story line). We have the same basic plot line of scary Shere Kahn hunting down man-cub Mowgli. Shoot, we even get to have a little taste of the original songs ('Bare Necessities,' 'I Wanna Be Like You,' and if you hang around long enough, a chilling rendition of 'Trust In Me' during the credits). But this version is definitely more intense and more action-packed, with stunning visual effects that make you feel right at home in the jungle. 

Snakes, Tigers, Bears… Oh my! 
I have to admit, I could almost care less about the story line. I was so enamored by the animals (especially the 'bad' ones!) that I was always anticipating the next scene and what new characters to look forward to. Kaa and King Louie were my two favorite 'bad characters,' if you will. I was a little freaked out by their enormity, but I honestly think that was one reason I was drawn to their characters. Trussssst in me when is say that I love the cartoon characters from Disney's original, but there's something particularly intriguing with bigger depictions that seem to have a new breath of life in them. 
Kaa gave me the most creeps. His/Her (male in original, female in 2016 version) was horribly long in length and scarily reassuring with a slightly echoing voice. 



King Louie is my next favorite. His imposing size and the fact that it's Christopher Walken makes his scene so fun (yet a mite frightening!) to watch! You get to see his enormous size in comparison to Mowgli after a smidgen of ominous waiting, and I couldn't help but wonder what type of steroid-infused mango did he eat? It was captivating to watch his chase with Mowgli through the temple ruins and even get to hear Walken sing a snippet of "I Wanna Be Like You."



I simply adored Bagheera and Baloo. Hats off to the casting choices of Ben Kingsly and Bill Murray because they hit their parts spot on. I've always found Bagheera's calm, soldier-like demeanor enticing for some reason. The creators of this 2016 film drew from that of the serious countenance of the cartoon version, and refined it to a 'T." His sleek black coat and bright yellow eyes look so life like and his friendship with Mowgli was sweet, considering their opposing personalities.



Baloo, on the other hand, was the amazing comedic relief. Not to mention, he was simply adorable. I couldn't get enough of his little funny jibs and sayings. He was a slight reflection of the cartoon version, but I feel like Bill Murray shaped him a little differently. In a good way, though. Baloo seemed more dependent on Mowgli than vice versa, something I recall from the cartoon (how Baloo teaches Mowgli what to eat and how to live in the "Bare Necessities" song comes to mind). In the 2016 version, Mowgli helps Baloo collect food. Namely, honey. But their friendship was just as endearing and definitely a bright spot in the dark tone of the film.



I suppose I have to make mention of Shere Kahn, the biggest threat to Mowgli in the whole movie. While cartoon version had a little more charm and even witty side to him, do not expect that from 2016 Shere Kahn. He is mean, vicious, and extremely intimidating. I have a miniature version of him in my cat, Mitsi. (Just kidding, Mits, I love you!)



With incredible special effects, superb casting and acting, "The Jungle Book" is a winner in my eyes! The movie is now out on DVD and Blue-ray and I'm sure will be coming out to Redbox soon. Check it out! I'm sure you'll love it! 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this movie!! I also listened to the audio version while I was still working at cook, it was great too! (its not as "childrenish" as you think)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the movie did an excellent job in being true to both the original Disney cartoon and the book!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.